Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wednesday

Today was early dismissal for both boys. Coram’s bus came, but he didn’t manage to get on it. It was sad actually. By the time he figured out he wanted to go, the buss was driving away. He chased it a bit down the road, but the bus didn’t stop. I gather they have safety laws that they aren’t allowed to stop again. He had this really forlorn look on his face when he realized he had missed it.

The upside is, he hopped right into class as soon as we got there. I didn’t even go in the building. This despite the fact that there were workers belt-sanding the building and it was REALLY loud. That’s the kind of thing that would usually upset him. He knew the class was having a popcorn party, and I know that motivated him. I’d like to think he also is getting more used to the idea of going to school.

Coram’s teacher was speaking with me last week about the possibility that this might not be the right class for him. She had good reasons, mainly that his needs are different than the other kids, and he takes two adults when he is having a fit leaving only one adult for all the other special kids. However, I’d be lying if I said my heart didn’t sink. I really don’t want to have to move again. It’s hard to get used to a new classroom, a new group of kids, new teachers and administrators, and a new routine.

I consider myself to be fairly accepting, and flexible to what the teachers want to try. However, even I hit blocks of resistance in myself. I can’t imagine what it would be like trying to deal with a parent who refused to believe there was really a problem. I have teacher friends who have dealt with those kinds of parents, and it’s really sad. The biggest victim is the child who doesn’t get the help because the parents refuse it. I don’t want to belike that, I want to help and listen and try as much as I can to work as a team with the teachers. But my back seems to go up whenever someone suggests moving him on to another class. I just want someone to dig in and commit to helping this kid get through school.

I applied to a local charity today for respite care. I don’t know if they offer care to families like ours, as they say they help kids with ‘progressive life limiting illnesses’, and I‘m not sure if we fit that, but it was worth asking. So far I haven’t heard anything back.

0 comments: