Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Playland

We went to Playland on Sunday. I would have written about it sooner, but we have been sick here.

Playland was awesome. The boys have been asking for years, and I have been putting it off. I think the timing was perfect this year though, because they were tall enough to go on the rides by themselves.

I went on a few rides with the boys before I hit my ‘sick limit’. I went on the swings a few times, and the roller coaster and the Ferris Wheel. Then I went on a ride called Break Dance and, well, it broke me. The cars spin in their frames, which spin around on the base, which also spins. I can’t actually imagine anyone enjoying the ride, but Lucas did. He went twice. I went once and it was the last ride of the day.

Lucas was amazing. I had no idea what a little daredevil he was. He went on lots of rides that I wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole. He even went on a ride called ‘Hells Gate’ which was insane. It flips upside down three times really, really fast. Lucas sat there, his orange hair blowing back from his pale forehead, wearing a huge smile. I really could not believe it. He did draw the line at the Hellevator though. He said it just looked too scary. Go figure.

It just goes to show how much our kids really are their own people – because he didn’t learn that from me, and certainly not Steve. Steve made it on one round of the swings and that was it for the day. In his words, he hates being in the air.

I think the coolest thing of the day was how happy the kids were. They seemed so free and content. They had huge smiles on their faces all day. There were very few line-ups, as it was raining slightly so the boys could go on any ride they wanted, and usually stay on if they chose. They would wave and smile from way up in the air, or call hello as they went spinning by. There was no bickering, no whining, and no complaining.

It was a perfect memory for us to have of our first family trip to Playland.

0 comments: