Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sunday Adventures

Sunday Am.

I have been working a lot this week because my co-worker had a death in the family. I am totally exhausted.

Steve worked at 5:30 am this morning.

I’m not entirely sure when the kids woke up. I was to dead to the world to hear it. They are old enough to be safe for an hour or so while I sleep. They are 7 and almost 6. I knew they would get up and play video games for a while.

9:20 am…I start to rise out of sleep and I hear someone say, ‘Check to make sure Mom is still asleep’.

Not good.

I get up and see Lucas with a pair of scissors. I asked him what he’s doing with them and he says he had opened the bag of Bits and Bites. They are sitting in front of the game system eating right from the bag.

Ok, there are rules about food in the living room, but it’s a relatively minor infraction. There are also rules about eating out of the bag, but it’s also minor. I remind them of the rules and I take away the bits and bites. No big deal.

While I am scooping up the bits and bites, I notice dark clumps all over the ground.. I am groggy with sleep and I can’t tell what they are so I ask Coram. ‘Hair.’ he says.

Very not good.

My eyes clear and I look at Lucas. He is wearing an impish grin and chuckling. And he is definitely missing a very large clump of hair from his bangs. And he thinks it’s fantastic.

‘Ok,’ I say, ‘ what else?’.

Coram tells me Lucas coloured all over him with permanent marker. Sigh. That happens a few times a week, actually. Then, I Iook for the marker and find it beside one of my teddy bears. With a new face and tie drawn on him. ‘I thought it would make him look happy!’ says Lucas, looking at me with puppy dog eyes.

What can I do? I am furious inside, but I feel that I can’t get too outwardly angry at Lucas. After all, it ws me who slept in, and I know full well what he can be like in the morning without his medicine.

I decide to sit down and journal it all. Here is where I get the final blow: There is permanent marker all over the keyboard. The NEW keyboard. Which, incidentally, had to be replaced because one morning Lucas decided to take all the keys off and put them back in alphabetical order. He thought he was being helpful. He destroyed all the springs in the process.

As I settle in to typing, Lucas says, ‘Aren’t you going to go back to sleep?’

Uh, No. I don’t think so.

0 comments: