Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cast Off

Today we finally got Coram’s cast off!

That was six long weeks I tell ya. Though the waiting room seemed to take even longer.

We waited in the waiting room to be called and sent to the x-ray room. Then we waited in the x-ray waiting room. Then they called us to take us to a different x-ray room (to speed things up apparently) and we waited in that other waiting room. Then we got our x-ray and went back to the first waiting room.

When we were finally called, we were brought into a small private office where we waited another twenty minutes. We saw a resident who said everything looked great, but said we would have to wait to see the doctor.

In all it was two hours we spent there, with about 6 minutes speaking to the actual doctor.

The doctor skipped us to see a small boy who came in after us. I know he came in after us, because his mom kept complaining about how long the wait was, that their appointment was for 2:30, etc. It really bothers me that they skipped us to see them because of a complaining mother. The child wasn’t even complaining, or being noisy, or anything. He just played quietly while his mother ranted ‘I can’t sit here another half an hour!’

I mean, sure he was young, but Coram was having a MUCH harder time with the wait. When we did see the doctor, she was so obviously over-worked that I didn’t feel like I could say anything, though I really wanted to. She made an assumption based on age that my son could wait, which he couldn’t. He was dangerously close to losing it, and I was worried he might not comply when it because time to take the cast off.

However, the idea of having the cast off his hand was more exciting to Coram than worrisome, and he did comply. He sat watching detachedly while they sawed off his cast. There was gross dark yellow dead skin everywhere, but Coram was more fascinated than anything. I took him to rinse his arm off, and as soon as the water ran on him he said, ‘I need a new cast on!’ That boy doesn’t like change at ALL.

He is looking forward to going swimming on Friday with Boys and girls Club, though. In the car on the way home he pointed out that the timing is good because he won’t have to wear a plastic bag to the pool. So it didn’t take him long to get used to not having the cast on.

Me, I am just relieved I don’t have to look out for the weapon on the end of his arm anymore. That thing was fibreglass, and an accidental bonk or scratch with it would really hurt.

0 comments: