Thursday, November 09, 2006

Good Cat, Bad Cat

Ugh.

We have mice.

We also have cats.

The cats have been killing the mice.

We are happy about that.

We have been coming home at the end of the day to a mouse carcass, or waking up in the morning to a mouse carcass. They are presented like little trophies on the kitchen floor.

But today, they decided to kill one while I was home.

What a horrible thing to witness.

I don’t think I have ever heard a mouse squeak before. But I just overheard a mouse squeaking for its life as the cats toyed with it, slowly killing it. They batted it around; they chased it under boxes, and they tossed it in the air. All the while only giving it small bites so as not to kill it.

Now, I know this is the nature of things. I know this is how cats hunt. I know that I ultimately want my cats to kill the mice.

But my stomach is in knots. I never, ever EVER want to witness that again.

0 comments: