Monday, November 26, 2007

Why I Sleep So Much

So today Lucas was home from school sick. This means I can't take Coram to school either, because I can't go get him at 12:30 without draging Lucas there, so they both stayed home.

With kids 8 and 9, I can safely set them up in front of the TV ad have a nap. So that is what I did this morning. I lay my head down at about 9:30 am. The boys would come in every now and then to ask for things (Can I make a peanut butter sandwich?) or tattle on each other (Coram keeps changing my show to the weather channel!) but for the most part, I got a sleep. It was 1:45 before I finally dragged myself out of bed, and even that was with reluctance.

Now some of you may think maybe I stayed up late last night. Not so. I was in bed by 11:30, and slept until 8:00. Aghast, you now wonder why on earth I would have such a long nap in the morning after such a long night of sleep?

Consider this: In the past 8 years, I have had so few nights of fully un-interrupted sleep that I would only need one hand to count them on.

We all know this is part of parenting, right? Our babies get up in the middle of the night for a bottle, our toddlers climb in when they have had a bad dream. But how many have 4 foot 5 inch tall 8 year olds in their bed every night?

Yes, every night. It's an anxiety thing.

We tried getting a bigger bed, but that really didn't fix the issue. See, in order to feel secure, Coram needs to actually be touching us in the night. Get a king-sized bed – he still follows us all over the bed. Often, one of us is squeezed against the wall, and the other is hanging off the opposite side, and Coram is stretched perpendicularly between us, so he can be touching us both.

Last night, he kept throwing his leg over me. Kinda' like you'd throw your arm over someone you were cuddling in the night. But this was his leg. Over my head (remember he is sleeping sideways). I kept pushing it off, and it would be about two minutes before he put it there again. I physically moved him upright so his legs were not by my head, and happily slept a full twenty minutes before he had manoeuvred himself to the same position and threw his leg over me.

Add to that this boy has some incredible internal heat source, and is always hot and sweaty in the night. Naturally, he kicks all of the blankets on to the floor. Last night was particularly cold.

This morning (afternoon) as I dragged myself out of bed, I considered that I might as well just stay up all night, since the time in quasi-sleep is just wasted – I still need real sleep in a bed without children the next day. I could use that time to actually get stuff done around here.

27 comments:

make money online said...

I sleep 8 hours a day. Sleeping should be a n integral part of every one's regime.

This Week On said...

I actually need to sleep more!
This Week On

free playstation 3 said...

you're a mom, you never need to apologize for being tired or wanting to sleep/nap. my sister has a baby this year and for whatever reason, i developed a new found respect for my mom and other mothers (like my co-workers). this is not to say i disrespected them (because i didn't), i just started seeing things in a new light because of my sister.

Cuban Cigars said...

We have a 3yo boy who is consistently up at 6am ! He goes to bed around 8pm and by the time I wind down it's 10.00... I usually fall asleep by 12.. Help ! I'm tired ! :)

Biker2 said...

What can be more pretty than 15 hours of hard asleep? :)

Odysseus said...

You are so lucky to be able to get time off from your kids to sleep.

Burgenland Wellness said...

It is important to sleep enough, at least 7-8 hours... But sleeping too much, like 10+ hours, is also not healthy :) But everyone is different and has other attitudes.

Medias said...

Sleeping should be a n integral part of every one's regime.

Glacier Real Estate said...

I wish we did not sleep at all.

Bingo Online said...

i slept loads today - whenever i get drunk i just sleep loads :D

Hid Conversion Kits said...

I try to keep myself on a solid sleep schedule of 8 hours per day to avoid these problems, oversleeping only makes me more tired and lazier.

Sleepy said...

I need to sleep badly. After a long week i'm totally exhausted. This getting up early makes me weaker

Ocean21 said...

Rotate your sleep hour an hour earlier everyday with 8 hrs of sleep until you sleep at 6 am and wake up at 2pm. From 12 am to 6 am is when people can concentrate the most and when it is the most peaceful time of the day. And also you can chat with people of another time zone like China.

Try it out. Have a cup of Coffee around 7 pm.

RooYo said...

I sleep 6 hours a day. And i think i need more sleep.

Love Calculator said...

hmm, i sleep 8 hours a day, last time i do more hours but now with work, there is lesser time to sleep

jul said...

I wish a day was 24 hours!

Safety Mirrors said...

I can't even imagine how tiring it must be being a parent and trying to make a living at the same time. No need to explain or apologise. Great blog btw!

Non Slip Stair Treads said...

When I oversleep I find myself more tired and it doesn't help me through the day at all, whereas, when I wake up early its easier to stay awake through the day.

jamaine12 said...

Good thing that I enjoy my sleep because I don't have baby or children to take care of..^_^

Expat said...

I thought sleeping for long can give us freshness but it really don't. I used to sleep about 8 hours and now I sleep about 6 hours. I feel much better now.

Shannon said...

I love to sleep.. but I know when enough is enough. Too much of it will affect your liver, that is what I have read on some healthy stuff article.

David Williams said...

It’s sad to hear that Lucas is sick and missed his school. You should better take care of him and take him to the doctor, so that he can be fit as soon as possible.

skip said...

nowadays,it's really hard to sleep at days and night.you are lucky because you can actually sleep

rich said...

Sleep is a luxury when you have small children.
We struggle with 2 under 30 months.

We take it in turns to get a good night sleep that way at least one of us is not grouchy.

Rich

erp said...

my hobby is sleeping. what can i say more ... sigh-

pool service route accounts said...

ohh... nice description about sleeping.

HID Kit said...

I find a solid 8 hours is all I need and anything more is a waste of my day. A little caffeine and im good for the day