Monday, July 09, 2007

This Blog is Now DoFollow

I guess one of the drawbacks of using a site like Blogger or a script like Wordpress when blogging is the lack of control you can have. What I did not know, and I have been blogging for over a year, is that the site sets links in my comments field to 'nofollow'. What this means is search engines will not follow the links from my comments. So, search engines that are cawling my blogs do not follow links in comments, and thus there is no link love for commenter.

I read about a movement called 'DoFollow'. This movement changes the settings so that the links in comments are following by search engine spiders. This means that commenters can boost their pagerank when they comment on DoFollow blogs.

Thankfully, there are ways to fix the scripts so that you can have a DoFollow blog even with Wordpress, Blogger, or other sites that automatically set links to nofollow.

I found extremely simple directions to this on Tips 4 Blogspot. Even me, an admitted technotwit and technophobe, could follow these directions.

Once you have changed to DoFollow, consider adding one of these free logos by Randa Clay to your blog, so readers will know that you have joined the movement.

And one last step: there are a few blogs that keep lists of other DoFollow Blogs. You can post on Courtney Tuttles's blog to have yours added. You can also list your site on the DoFollow Directory.

9 comments:

nicusor said...

Hello,

Congrats, your site is now listed on the updated Do Follow List!

Regards,
Nicusor

P.S. You could use one of these images to show your visitors that you joined the Do Follow Movement!

Michael said...

Thats cool that you are now dofollow. I have debated whether to join the movement but have not decided yet.

Funny Videos said...

I think I should join the dofollow movement as well. I read somewhere that you can actually get more commenters on your blog from installing that. What is your experience from that?

Jewel said...

I do notice I have more comments, and I haven't noticed any spam whatsoever. So far I am happy that I made the change.

andy said...

I found your site on a dofollow list. Wish you the best. :)

mlankton said...

bravo

I don't dofollow all the links on my site (I link to some big sites in my articles, and they don't need my paltry google juice), but I make sure to strip the nofollow from hpeople like me that can use the link love.

Bape said...

Its ironic that many bloggers talk about this but then they actually use no follow.

route businesses for sale said...

It is truly speaking that blog with 'no-follow' has not any value in search engines.So the visitor would not like to place their comment there.you did well for this...
active my link.

Types and Styles of bamboo flooring said...

You have changed to dofollow.
Congratulation....

But I can't understand why the searchstatus plugin that installed on my firefox is still telling me that you are still NoFollow.