Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Taming The Worry Dragons

I got in touch with the clinician at the cleft palate team to talk about my concerns for Lucas and his apprehension of surgery, and whether he will co-operate when it comes time to go into the operating room. She referred us to the psychologist, so I have a series of appointments there.

I also picked up some booklets in a program called ‘ Taming the Worry Dragon’. It is designed to give kids tools to deal with their worries and anxieties.

So, hoping that with all this intervention, we can help Lucas prepare for that trip into the operating room.

1 comments:

Dragons Den said...

I recently went into hospital for an face reconstruction operation and had a lot of anxiety about the outcome of the operation. The main fear of any operation is naturally "what if something goes wrong?" which can be very hard to get your head around. I read a couple of anxiety booklets which really helped me to cope with these types of thoughts and calm my nerves.