Sunday, March 18, 2007

Closer

I sent off an email to the nurse clinician to the cleft palate clinic, and I am so glad that I did.

She referred us to the Psychology department, and they have seen Lucas a couple of times. They are teaching him strategies for helping him feel better when he is worried.

They are also making a list with him of exactly how he wants the surgery to go … fort example, no bubble blowing while they are giving him the anaesthesia. Then, they are going to be there with us during the wait, and go into the OR, to make sure Lucas’s wishes are met.

I feel this huge burden lifted, because I now longer feel responsible for getting Lucas into the OR. The psychologist can do that. She told me I have enough to do, she’s happy to take this off of my shoulders. I just wanted to hug her.

She also told us not to talk about surgery at home. Anytime Lucas brings it up, we write his questions down and bring them to her, but we don’t talk about it.

The anxiety level in our house has dropped majorly, since we don’t have to talk about it ever, and Lucas feels more in control and respected.

What a HUGE relief.

5 and counting….

0 comments: